Sunday 3 April 2011

L'Essonne in English


Welcome to L’Essonne in English!
Born in Lancashire, I lived my childhood years in a converted stone cottage on a hill overlooking Peel Monument in what is now classed as the West Pennine Moors. So it has come as quite a shock to find myself settled in Juvisy-sur-Orge, a small town in the southeast suburbs, les banlieues, of Paris
Juvisy-sur-Orge, looking towards the Seine
At first glance the town didn’t seem to have much to offer an Englishwomen abroad but 6 years on is time enough to discover some of the charms département 91 has to offer.
I’m no stranger to culture shock having lived in the Cotswolds, Cambridge and Norwich. I’ve seen a fraction of France from the inside having worked in Versailles, Grenoble, Bordeaux, Paris, Lyon and Montpellier.
I’m an independent research biologist and consultant registered as an auto-entrepreneur, and I am currently developing online courses to help French scientists master English for their work. Joining me on my escapades will be my French husband P, fonctionnaire de rigueur who works at France’s top university in Paris. AJ is 6 years old and in the first year of formal school or CP, Classe Préparatoire. EH is 3 years old and goes to Ecole Maternelle, a sort of pre-school or kindergarten. Other friends, family or colleagues could well make an appearance.
L’Essonne in English will be a lesson for me in appreciating the place I find myself in, whether through accident or design. The blog won’t be restricted to Essonne as there are bound to be trips to Paris and neighbouring areas. So with my stalwart companions, my challenge is to find a ‘thing of beauty’ or failing that something thought-provoking or just plain fun for every post.
Thank you for reading.
Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment